Saturday, December 20, 2008

Where's our warm fuzzy feeling?

Last Monday for Family Home Evening, Dan and I planned to do something to help us get in the Christmas spirit. We wanted to pick out toys to donate, or canned goods, just something to help out those who are struggling at this time. We had heard that we could pick out toys and donate them at Toys R Us. We headed out excited to be doing this, well once we got there they were no longer excepting toys for the toy drive, but you could still donate money. We considered going somewhere else, I was pretty sure Walmart was accepting canned food, but then we started questioning if they were still accepting food and we didn't want to be driving around all night. We finally decided to just donate the money we would have spent on toys or food. When we walked out the door we both looked at each other and asked WHERE'S OUR WARM FUZZY FEELING?

We were so disappointed at how far removed we felt actually helping someone. Growing up whenever my parents would drag us kids somewhere to do service we always left feeling great that we actually were helping. Yes it was good that we did anything, but I understand more now then ever that giving of your time is so much for meaningful then just writing a check! Next year I plan on doing my homework so Dan and I go and give in a meaningful way.