This is Annie's husband, Dan. I don't blog so hopefully this works. Annie tends to use numbered lists when she blogs but I'm not going to do that. As a result this may end up sounding more like stream of consciousness. Nevertheless . . .
It's difficult for me to articulate how I feel about Annie and why I love her so much. She and I both admit that we are very different and that we would have never "put" us together. We just are not each others type. But for whatever reason, I couldn't help falling in love with her. Prior to marriage I had dated a lot of girls. A LOT of girls :), but whenever those relationships ended it didn't bother me too much. When Annie and I were dating and things ended, first by me, then by her, I was ruined . . . both times. I couldn't really function. I had always said that I wanted to find the girl I couldn't live without and I can't live without Annie.
There are so many things I love and admire about her. I have never met anybody so willing do to do much for other people. Annie is selfless, almost to a fault. Her time is constantly spent in the service of other people. I am the chief beneficiary of her giving nature. In that sense, our relationship is quite imbalanced. It just seems I can't keep up with all the nice things, acts of service, and gestures of love that she does for me.
One of the things I admire most about Annie is her work ethic and discipline. Annie is indefatigable when she is committed to something. Whether it's here calling in the primary presidency, her job as an office manager, training for races, or doing kind things for friends and family, Annie doesn't stop until the job is done and it's done well (I'm guessing this comes from her mom?).
Annie is surprisingly sensitive. I say surprisingly because before I really knew her Annie had a reputation of being tough and maybe even callous. Not the case at all. I can't tell you how many times I've "caught" Annie crying at t.v. shows and movies. She recognizes when others are hurting and can't help trying to remedy the situation. Don't let Annie know anything bad has happened to an old person, she'll lose it.
Now this will seem oxymoronic but another thing I love about Annie is that she can't help laughing at people who fall, get scared, or other things you're likely to see on "America's Funniest Videos." It's endearing to me because her laughter is involuntary and it's not mean spirited or unkind. In that way she fits in quite nicely with my family.
Speaking of my family, Annie has embraced the role of "in-law" so smoothly. My family can be a little overwhelming (though they are always quite gracious to spouses) and Annie has welcomed being around my family as much as she can. If fact, a year into our marriage she invited my little brother to live with us for about six months. Not many newlywed wives are willing to be that open and inviting.
I also love Annie's "worldview." What I mean is that Annie's general disposition and response to life's vicissitudes is to be happy. I told Annie from day one that I didn't plan on being rich and that was okay with her. From day one Annie has known that I have health issues and she takes care of me and is more nurturing than I could have ever imagined. When we have a burden in our lives I rely on her positivity and strength. She is my rock, my happy rock, I guess (I'm guessing this comes from her Dad).
Speaking of happy, Annie has the most adorable laugh and I love how willing to be silly she is. As capable as she is, at home we just goof around. We often remark that we'd both be locked up if people could see how we interact with each other at home. Unfortunately our silliness is starting to spill over outside of our home and we fear the white coats are coming.
Annie is also deceptively smart. I use the word deceptively because she has deceived herself into thinking she isn't smart. Don't get me wrong, Annie has her "blond" moments (those darn c.d. covers can be confusing) but she has such a practical intelligence and capability. I think she doesn't realize how many times in a day I have to ask her how to do something or to figure something out for me. She just seems to pick up on stuff rather quickly. I wish I had her intelligence.
Another way Annie doesn't quite understand her strength is her physical beauty. Annie is intimidatingly beautiful and she doesn't know it. In some ways I'm grateful for this because it allowed me to swoop in and marry her. Annie isn't vain, conceited, nor self-absorbed. She'll get mad at me for saying this but she's convinced that if she shaved her head she'd look like a guy. She just doesn't see what everyone else sees. In every "worldly" sense of the word beauty, Annie's got it. She's fricken hot!
I also love Annie's beauty that's not so "worldly." Annie is a spiritual giant. She is committed to making sure the Gospel is the center of her life and our lives. In terms of keeping covenants and commandments Annie is uncompromising. She is determined to live all aspects of the Gospel and to try and follow Christ's example. She shows charity and tolerance to a remarkable degree.
To be honest with you, what I love most about Annie is indescribable to me. I just can't help loving her. She is everything to me and just about the only thing in the world that can make me tear up (that and getting hit in the shins). I thank the Lord everyday that I get to be her husband and that I have an eternity to become worthy of her companionship.
While this is not an all-inclusive list, these are few of the reasons, off the top of my head, why I love Annie so much.
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Can I have Dan just for a day? All-in-all he doesn't seem so bad.
Happy Birthday Annie! And indefatigable is a great word
Everything Dan said is very very true. Except he forgot to mention her bicycling skills. That's one of the things I love about Annie :) (ps I still have that picture of us both riding that bike up in my room). I wish I could be there to celebrate with you!!! I miss you lady!
WOW! Dan I am a fan of you. When my husband comes home teaching can you teach him? I love you guys. Happy Brithday Annie, you really are a doll. I don't think anyone could say a bad thing about you. Oh and I second that indefatigable is a great word, I googled that one.
I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVEN'T CALLED YOU....IT'S OKAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE FRIENDS ANYMORE. BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Ok Dan, you have to stop blogging - you had me in tears!!! You are so right, Annie is truly AMAZING. I am, obviously, a HUGE beneficiary of her selfless service and yes, I wish she knew how frickin' hot she really was. We love her too!!! Thanks for sharing those sweet thoughts. They will be priceless to not only the two of you, but to your posterity to come!! And, don't go selling yourself short either, you're a pretty amazing guy too if I do say so myself! We're so glad we know both of you. You're such a SWEET husband. Way to go Dan!!!!
~Chandi
Wow, Happy Birthday Annie! I loved reading that post! Great job Dan, however I think every husband is going to hate you for that! (You know we have all made them read it or we've told them about it at least once) Annie I think that you are amazing! What I know of you has impressed me so much, not to mention that my kids think you're totally awesome!
I suddenly am wanting to trade in my crazy fun single life for what you have. Wanna trade?
HaPpY BiRtHdAy AnNiE!!!!
Post a Comment