Monday, June 9, 2008

John D. Hawkes 5K


Sat. morning I ran and 5k with a girl I work with (GayLynn). She told me how she was planning on running a 1/2 marathon in July and I said I would love to do it too. We have been training together and on the schedule we needed to run a 5k. I haven't run a 5k in a really long time and the last time didn't go too well. After avoiding the rain the night before at the company party we were sure we would be so lucky for our race. It was raining when we left for Salt Lake, but had stopped once we got to our destination, it was just really cold.
The race began and GayLynn took off with me trailing. Overall I felt pretty good. I could definitely feel the fact that I have only been running on average 3 days a week, but it really wasn't that bad. I finished under 24 minutes (23:54) which was my goal so I was really happy! GayLynn killed my with a time of 22:15. We placed First and Second in our age category. I am so happy to have someone to run with. She is the perfect running buddy, I guess I just need to pick up my training so I can keep up with her! Hopefully we will be ready for our 1/2 marathon that is in about 5 weeks. It should be a lot of fun. Thanks to Dan and GayLynn's husband Ryan for coming and supporting. I know you both would have rather been in home in your warm beds asleep! I would say maybe next time you should run with us, but I know that won't happen. :)

3 comments:

Connie said...

You guys are so ambitious!

The Ackerman Family said...

Good for you Annie. Maybe after the baby, next summer or sometime we can train to do something together! Of course by then, you might be preggers! ;)

Rick said...

Wow! You are getting back into your GHS cross country mode. You were a stand out distance runner then, and you will be again. I can't wait for the half marathon at Bryce Canyon in July. Too bad you race so early in the morning, we'll have to cheer you on from Cedar City until you can get a race that fits our retirement schedule! Congratulations Sweet Pea.