Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandpa

My Grandpa turned 90 years old on July 5th so once I got back from Los Angeles I washed my clothes, repacked by bag, and head out to San Francisco to party with my family. I decided it would be fun to drive out with my sister and her kids. We thought it would be best to leave Wednesday night, drive about 3 hours, get a hotel, then finish the final 7 hours on Thursday. This would help the drive go smoothly because the kids wouldn't have to be stuck in a car for so long and we could get to my grandparents at a decent hour.

Unfortunately that didn't happen. We did get out on time and drove our 3 hours no problem. We stayed at the Days Inn which was nice. I was lucky enough to share my bed with Jayda who kicked or rolled over onto me about every hour. Mandy bribed Chloe and Trey with 2 quarters each to sleep on the floor. They both jumped at the offer. We got up nice and early the next morning and were off. We were making great time and were only about 2 hours away when we got caught in a stand still. At first we thought we were just stuck in 4th of July traffic, but then we found out that about 5 miles ahead a truck had caught fire and the freeway was completely closed down. Finally I jumped out of the car with the kids so they could stretch their legs. We were just a couple of the many people who were walking around outside trying to make the best of the situation. After 3 hours of not going anywhere the freeway was finally re-opened and we were on our way.
This obviously put us extremely behind schedule so we encountered rush hour traffic too. We finally made (10 hours total that day on the road) and all I could think was how happy I was to be flying back home come Sunday. :)

Happy Kids and Why they are happy:





Mandy not letting me take her picture, and one of the two of us



I know this picture looks bad, but we really weren't driving, it was when we were at a stand still.



Here I am out walking around with the kids


Once we arrived we had a great time. It is always so good to see my extended family that I only see every couple of years. One day R.J. Mandy, the kids, and I went to Pier 39. That is a family tradition and I don't think I have ever gone to my grandparents and not goen to Pier 39.


There were lots of seals out that day which was fun to show the kids. It was actually REALLY cold out so we didn't last too long.




I took a picture of the Left Handed store for Dan since he is left handed and couldn't make this trip. I missed you babe!



Here we are going down Lombard St. This is always fun to do. Mandy tried to claim that she had never driven down it before, but I know she has. I also like this picture because it shows the steepness of the streets and all the homes that are built so close together.

That night Mandy and I went to see The Proposal. It was fun to go out, but we arrived at my grandparents to a bunch of sleeping kids. We were staying at the Hilton that was close by so we loaded then up and drove to our hotel. Since there were only two of us and 4 kids, this was our solution.


It actually worked quite well (I was holding Sadie).


Finally the Big Party!!! Happy Birthday Grandpa
My Grandpa Al and Grandma Jean, Grandpa blowing out his candles.



R.J. and our Cousin Evan, my dad and Aunt Sue




R.J. and my Mom, My mom and dad



Me, RJ, Mandy My Dad, his parents, and siblings



My Grandma and Sadie, my dad with Chloe and Sadie



Trey and Jayda, my sweet sister!




My Grandpa and Me!


The WHOLE Family. His is everyone on my dad's side of the family. (minus, 1 cousin)



It was a wonderful trip and I am so glad I could go!

No comments: