Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gas Prices

I love blogging, but I forget that I need to blog about things happening beyond what Dan and I are up to. So this Blog is all about the crazy gas prices. In December I will have had my licence for 9 years! Amazing! (you can take that as either amazing I am old enough to have had a licence that long, amazing I haven't had my license taken away for my poor driving abilities, or amazing I haven't killed myself) Anyway, back to gas prices. It is interesting in the 9 years of driving the drastic fluctuation in the cost of gas. When I first started driving the cost was a little over $1. That's it! Here is what you use to see when you were driving:
These prices aren't even as low as I would like the picture to depict, but back then I don't think people thought of taking pictures of gas prices.


Then 9/11 happened and I remember that gas dropped to 99 cents!! Can you believe it. I could fill my car up for $13. The years pasted and gas prices steadily increased. Then in the past year gas prices have jumped. Driving down the street you would see signs like this:

I don't remember what the most I paid for gas was, but I know it was well over 4 dollars. 4 dollars!!! I never thought it would ever get that high but sure enough it did. The gas jump also happened right when Dan took a new job in Downtown Salt Lake. We currently live in Orem so according to mapquest Dan has a 37.09 mile drive EACH WAY. Luckily we had just bought a Honda Civic that gets great gas mileage, but even still that is still about 2 gallons of gas he is going through a day just for his commute.
Needless to say, today when I was driving to work and saw a sign saying $2.99 for gas, I was over joyed. $3 a gallon is still way too high, but I will take it over the $4 we were paying.

4 comments:

mons meg said...

i remember paying 98 cents for gas in high school at that arco on the corner of route 66 and lone hill. the most i paid for gas was $4.99 (this was in san diego..which has the highest gas prices of the nation!). im soooo happy the prices are going down! i drive too much :)

amelia said...

It's down to $2.81 by our house! Yeah!

Kylie Blackwell said...

Did I tear up when I saw gas at 2.65? Yea I did! It's like too good to be true! Now maybe I can leave my condo and run into you more!

Rick said...

Wow ... do I want to cry or what? Nine years - you've been driving nine years??? How did nine years get away from me?

Anyway, about gas prices ... When I got my license in high school (1966) gas was 29.9 a gallon. Three dollars kept me going all week including a once-a-week drive down to Redondo Beach. While in Gettysburg last week, we paid $2.44 a gallon and I was thrilled to have found such a bargain. Sadly,Cedar is still near $3.00.

Mom