Monday, June 4, 2012

Special Moments

I feel soooooo very blessed that I am able to stay home with Dallas. We have so much fun together and I thank my Father in Heaven each day that He sent such an amazing child to us. Everyone always tells me to savor this time because Dallas will grow up so fast. To me, he seems as though he has already grown up so much. I do my best to appreciate each day and the time we get to spend together, but it is hard when life gets busy.


On that note... when Dallas was born both Dan and I LOVED it when Dallas would sleep on our chest. We would almost be jealous of who ever was holding Dallas and having this special time with him. As Dallas has gotten older these special moments have become few and far between. Not because Dallas isn't a cuddler, he completely is, but I want him to learn how to sleep on his own.

With church at 1pm, right when Dallas usually takes his nap, his schedule gets thrown off on Sunday's. Yesterday, we came home at 4pm, had dinner and I could tell Dallas was getting tired. I was holding him and he rested his head on my shoulder. He usually will do this for a minute or so then raise his head up to look at something, then once again rest his head on my shoulder for a minute only to continue the cycle. Not yesterday, I noticed after a couple of minutes he was out. I moved to the couch and slid him down so his head was resting on my chest. It was like old times, but so different.


As I looked into my little boy's face, that is exactly what I saw... a little boy. My "baby" has grown into a boy, but still is as precious as ever. I felt his long body that no longer fit just on my torso, and studied his hair that continues to turn blonde. It was such a special moment I don't ever want to forget it. There is a time for schedules, routines, and teaching, but there is also a time to soak in the amazing blessing of motherhood. I love interacting with Dallas when he is awake, but there is something unexplainable that I feel when he is peacefully sleeping. 

Dallas, I love you. There will never be enough words in the world to adequately express how I feel about you. Thank you for bring so much joy into our family with your loving smiles, pure laughs, and tender touches. 

2 comments:

Laura Anne said...

That is so funny! Mark and I were JUST talking about how Dallas looks like a little boy now. Weird. You have a special little boy there, Annie. Of course, you deserve him! Smother him with kisses for me.

Scooter and Jessica said...

I totally understand how you feel. It is so weird to think about how small our babies used to be. Lincoln is too busy for cuddles now, as well, but if he ever does cuddle, even for a moment I savor it! We flew a couple days ago and even though it was weird (because usually people dread flying with their kids) I was looking forward to it because I knew I would get to hold him the entire time.