Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day History

1984 - Although I don't remember this day, it was my first Father's day with my dad. Little did I know I was born to the best father I could have ever asked for. My dad has ALWAYS been there for me. He is a faithful, loving father and I look up to him so much. I truly was blessed to have such a wonderful dad!


1999 - Dan's dad passed away from his battle with cancer just four days before this Father's day. Although I have never met Lance, I am thankful for the man that he was while on this earth. He was a great example to Dan and taught him so much. We proudly gave Dallas the middle name Lance to honor him, and I hope Dallas will understand that his dad is so amazing and who he is because of his grandfather.

2006 - Dan and I were engaged. Although children weren't on our minds at the time, I was excited to be marrying the man I would have a family with some day.

2010 - Dan and I had been trying for a year and a half to get pregnant. It brings me to tears thinking of the desire we had for a family, but the inability to start one. We wanted to be celebrating Father's day as parents, but had to have faith in our Heavenly Father that he would bless us with children when the time was right.

2011 - I was pregnant!! We were happy our prayers had been answered to be starting a family, but at this point we were just so thankful that Dan was alive, out of the hospital, and finally seemed to be getting better. It was terrifying at times to think, just for a brief moment, that Dan could possibly not be here for Dallas.

2012 - Dan's first Father's Day. I need to learn some new words so I can actually describe Dan adequately rather than saying, I wish I had the words. I have some special moments with Dallas, but few can compare to me observing Dan with Dallas. Father and son together playing, laughing, and learning. They have a special bond that I could have only dreamed that they would have. No one can make Dallas laugh like Dan can and Dan was the first one to make Dallas really laugh. Dan worries over Dallas in such a sweet way. Some common phrases are: is he warm enough, is he too hot, is he learning, we need to read to him more, I will just hold him until he falls asleep so he won't have to cry.

Dan is also a huge help to me. Pre-children, I thought I would be super mom who could do it all. I am sure I told Dan that I would be able to handle everything, but reality quickly set in. I get tired, I get worn out, and I get a little moody at times. Dan is there ready to help despite not always feeling well, or being tired himself. I lean on Dan for so many things and I have come to realize that I could never parent without him. He is amazing and I am thankful our children with have such a wonderful example to look up too.



Finally on a related note, I need to express my feelings toward my Father in Heaven. Everyone of us is so lucky to have a Father in Heaven who loves us. I know that I am never alone. I can always pray to my Heavenly Father and He will be listening. He will comfort me when needed, and let me go through hard times so I will learn and grow. Knowing I am imperfect he provided a way, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, His son, for me to return to Him. He wants me to be happy. He wants be to choose the right so I can live with him again some day. I am thankful for all that He has blessed me with and try each day to do the things He would want me to.

No comments: