Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Good Day Turned AMAZING!!

My job has been great. I finally have a routine down, my boss who everyone said would be difficult to work with has actually been great, and all my co-workers have been so welcoming and fun to work with.... life was good!

About 3 weeks ago Jon Pierpont, the Deputy Director of the Department of Workforce Services (DWS), was coming to one of our manager meetings. I am in charge of getting these ready, setting up the room, putting the agenda together, supporting materials, etc. The morning of this meeting a couple for my co-workers jokingly mentioned that Jon was needing a new executive assistant and that I better watch out, he might recruit me. Ha Ha very funny, they were just being nice. I loved my current position and I had only been working for the department and state for 7 WEEKS. Not 7 months or years, weeks. The meeting started and went well. I came home and told Dan how more than ever everyone whose turn it was to speak gave me credit for something I had helped them with, an agenda, a spreadsheet, a flyer, or something. My job is to support my boss and the other managers. I didn't think a thing of it to help them, but I felt very appreciated and it made my day!

The next day my boss was out of the office until right before I was going to leave. Some of you know, but my new job is MUCH slower than when I worked for the real estate company. When my boss is gone it is even slower, so that day I played a lot of games on the computer. I hate admitting that I would do that, but seriously having to be at work for 10 hours with little to do, I got desperate.

My boss finally came in and he asked to see me. That is normal, I was ready to catch up on what he needed me to do for the next day and coordinate schedules. I went into his office and he shut the door. THAT NEVER HAPPENS. He started talking, but in a voice you just know something is wrong. First thing I thought of.... someone saw me playing games... I know I am in trouble. CRAP!! I could not have been more wrong. He started saying how Jon needed a new assistant and that he wanted to do an internal recruitment and that he wanted to interview me! Words could not express how shocked and happy I was.

I guess Jon had asked all the DWS directors to send him a list of possible employees who they felt could fill the position. My boss liking me as an assistant and also realizing that I hadn't been with the department for that long hadn't submitted my name, but then when Jon came down he was impressed with how well the meeting and how involved I was with the projects going on, so he called up my boss and said he wanted me to come up and be interviewed.

I called Tiffany, Jon's current assistant and she gave me 3 assignments I need to work on over the weekend and bring with me to my interview. This was to make sure I could handle the job. The assignments really weren't too hard which made me feel better about my abilities and what they were looking for. My only hesitation is that I do have to write and edit some of the time and that is not a strength of mine, but it will give me the opportunity to get better at it. Monday I met with Tiffany, then I met with Jon on Wednesday. I really couldn't tell how that interview went. I hate it when I can't get a read on someone and he was impossible. He said he would let me know my the next day. Well I patiently waited just to get an email saying it would actually be Monday... RUDE! :) But that was ok, my parents were on their way up to visit and my sister had her baby that night, there were plenty of distraction that weekend to keep my mind off the Job.

Monday morning came and I GOT THE JOB!!! I was so excited. I am sad to leave my current office. I can honestly say it was all the people that I was working for that helped make me look good and that helped me get this job, plus I loved working with them. I have been up to my new office a few times, but I officially start Monday. I will now be working in Downtown Salt Lake, I get to park in the underground parking lot (3 spaces away from the elevator entrance) that I guess you have to work for the state for at least 20 years before getting to park down there, but I work for the Executive Directors Office so I get to, and I get a raise. Leaving Prudential was hard because I had just gotten a raise and starting with the state I went back to what I was making before the raise at Prudential, but the money wasn't worth it, so I left. Now I will be making what I would have been at Prudential!! I also will be involved in so much more and at such a higher level, but best of all... some days Dan and I will be able to car pool!

All this has been such a whirlwind, but I am grateful it has all worked out so well. I truly feel so blessed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Annie! I'm so proud of you and your new job!!! New house, new job, new adventures!

mons meg said...

way to go lady!!!!

Carter News said...

Congrats - totally deserving!