As the years have passed I have come to accept that football will ALWAYS be a part of Dan’s life. I also think Dan has come to accept that when football season starts I will NEVER be nearly as excited as he is. Although I put up a stink by acting like my life is over and that I have lost my husband for a few months, deep down there is a small part of me who actually likes football. I like that it gives me a fall feeling. I like that it is something that Dan likes and I can sit and watch a game with him, unlike when he plays basketball at night and I am left at home. I look forward to having a son for him to share his excitement with ( I hope I didn’t just jinx us). I like that I know what play action, calling an audible, and false start mean. And I love that Dan likes me by his side to share in the exciting moments and that we both cheer for BYU.
Things that I will never understand or don’t like about football are that the ball is placed so casually on the field by the referees after each down, but then they use precise measurements to see if a team earns the first down. I don’t like that I feel bad for some random team that is losing in some game I am only watching because Dan is, and then feel even worse for the team that was ahead then gets defeated at the last moment. They worked so hard all game long to lose in the final seconds. I don’t understand why games have so be SOOOO long and why a team feels the need to call a time out with 2 minutes left in the 4th when they are down by 30. Seriously give up so I can go home or change the channel already! I will NEVER understand when Dan’s says that he feels like his team just broke up with him after a hard loss like after the BYU vs Florida State game. Or the insane excitement like after the BYU v Okalahoma game where Dan apologized to our unborn children sayting that was the happiest day of his life! Hello what about the day you married me?? Oh well as long and I am near the top I am happy :)
As I said before, whether I understand it or like it, football will always be apart of Dan’s life and he knows I will try and be excited, but will probably never really be into it. Here are some pictures of our football adventures from this season.
Dan, Ben, and Laura celebrating after the Oklahoma Victory. Most of you are probably wondering what Dan is wearing, yes a Lava lava. That is one Hawaii trait that I don't think he will ever stop.

BK, Dan, Jen, and Brian after the Florida State game. This was one of those games Dan felt like BYU broke up with him after.
Brian just graduated from Florida State so it was fun to have him and his wife Jen out here visiting for the game. Dan went to high school with Brian so it is always fun when they get together.
Jen, Ben, Dan, and Brian.
Dan's sister Liz, her husband Chris, Dan, Me, and Dan's niece Laura at the BYU v. Utah State.
Although I don't have a picture I must add that we go the Jamie and Brent's house to watch the away games and usually have a BBQ. It is always a lot of fun over there with all our friends.
Dan’s younger brother Ben made the Weber State football team this year so we have had fun watching his games and supporting him. Football is better when you know someone who is playing! Dan has also loved looking at Ben’s play book each week. Yes the X’s and O’s you see drawn on chalkboards in movies really do mean something.
Ben and Dan in Ben's jerseys.
GO BEN!!
This past weekend Dan's sister Liz and her husband Chris came out to visit from Hawaii. They have kind of made it a tradition and we love having them here. As you can see from above we all went to the Utah State game together, then Saturday we went to Ben's game.
All of us with Ben after the game.
Later that night the boys headed off to the Priesthood session of conference while us girls went to a movie. After we all went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.
Although this isn't football, I wanted to add this... Sunday afternoon Dan, Ben, Laura, and I drove the Alpine Loop to look at the fall colors. This picture really doesn't do it justice, but you can see the beautiful colors of the trees changing.

2 comments:
I have always had a problem with football but was never able to put it into words why. The third paragraph you wrote did these thoughts some beautiful justice. Also, I miss your face and glowing blond hair. Baby says "hi."
you make me laugh :)
Post a Comment