My parents were so kind and volunteered to watch Dallas so we could enjoy this vacation. I also think since it was my parents I had fewer worries about leaving him. They came up Tuesday night and we left Wed. morning. We needed to leave the house round 6:30am and Dallas usually sleeps until 7, so we were sad that we wouldn't see him in the morning. Lucky for us, he woke up around 6:15am. Dan and I were able to hold him and have him come to the airport with us so we could say goodbye.
I will admit, it was hard leaving him. We talked about him constantly and every child we saw reminded us of him. Even some guy's jacket reminded me of a pair of pjs that he has and made me miss him. I wouldn't have wanted things different, but this is probably my first vacation I was itching to get home. As soon as we landed I called my mom and she said she was in the airport with Dallas waiting. That was the best thing I could have heard. I assumed she would pick us up outside, but since she was there I told Dan I would meet him at baggage claim because as soon as it was my turn to get off the plane I would practically be running to our boy... and I did.
Dallas looked so grown up when I saw him. He wasn't as excited to see me as I hoped, but I knew that might be the case... after all I had left him. He was very excited to see Dan, but soon enough he
was clinging to me too.
Ok on to our trip. Dan was asked to speak at a conference in Washington DC a few months ago. Dan has been dying to go on a vacation there for a long time. Dan loves early American history and knows everything about it. I too have wanted to go since I have never been so we thought this was the perfect opportunity to since part of it would be paid for by the conference. Once my parents said they would be willing to watch Dallas we knew we had to go!
We flew in Wednesday evening. We were pretty tired so we found a place close to the hotel to eat at then relaxed and went to bed. Thursday morning we Dan's presentation. I rarely get to see Dan present so this was a treat for me. I only went for the first little bit, since I make Dan nervous, or so he says. It is amazing to watch him. Dan is meant to speak. He is so good at it and it just comes naturally to him. I was definitely a proud wife!
He was done by noon so we headed to lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl. It was featured on the travel channel and I guess it is one of Bill Cosby's and Pres. Obama's favorite places to eat. It was really good and we ate a lot. From there we went to Ford's Theater. This is where Abraham Lincoln was shot. Before going into the actual theater everyone was sent downstairs to a museum that documented his presidency. Dan was in heaven. It really was so fun just to be with him because he was so giddy. Dan is slightly obsessed with Lincoln so going here was probably his favorite part of the trip.
Yes, Dan is proposing to Lincoln
After the museum we went into the actual theater. A guide gave a brief history of the theater and an account of the night Lincoln was shot. From there we were able to go across the street to house that Lincoln was carried to after he was shot, then eventually died in. This was all so interesting and a great way to start the trip.After Fords theater we walked to the White House. We actually went to the back side first, not realizing it. This is were most things take place and was recognizable to me. When we walked to the front it was so underwhelming. It just looked like big house.
I thought this was the White House, but it was actually the Treasury building... I was a little off
The back side of the White House
The front of the White House
We stayed at two different hotels. The first was farther away so we took the subway back. There was the LONGEST escalator ever that took us up to the street.
The next day we visited the many different monuments and were ripped off by a hot dog stand. ONLY buy things from street vendors if the prices are listed or else you will end up paying $15 for two hot dogs and a bottle of water.
The Lincoln Memorial
The Washington Monument
WWll Memorial - It was neat as we were walking by it a bus load of vets were getting out. Most in wheel chairs, it was so amazing to see these brave men!!
The last day we were there we started by going to the Capitol, the Supreme Court building, and the Congressional Library, which was probably my favorite building. We also went to the museum of Natural History. We then met up with one of my best friends from home Megan and her husband Joe. They are living out that way now so it was so fun to be able to spend some time together. We all walked through the museum of American History which was really good.
I love Red Velvet Cake, so I couldn't pass up this place!!
The Supreme Court Building
The Congressional Library
The Capitol... It was neat because we could see where they were doing construction getting ready for the inauguration
George Washington's Sword
Dan, Annie, Megan, Joe after Dinner
It was a WONDERFUL trip. Dan and I loved being able to spend time just one on one together. We both commented that many of the places we visited were only representations of things... like the Washington Monument, but it is cool to think of what has taken place there since or what might take place there, so we were so glad we were able to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment