Wednesday, April 18th, was the beginning of our marathon. Dan's mom flew in that morning and Dallas and I picked her up. Later that night Dave flew in. Just like a marathon, things started out great. Family was here and we were having a good time. Thursday we all hung around and spent most of the day trying to find a place near by that we could buy leis for Ben's graduation. Sounds easy, but it was a colossal effort, but we did it!
Friday was Ben's graduation. We were all so proud of him and were happy we could be there to cheer him on. Dan and I are looking forward to Ben moving closer to us, from Ogden to SLC, when he starts grad school at the University of Utah. Laura came up that night and Katie, Ben's friend spent the day with us.
Saturday was spent getting pictures taken of Dallas, shopping at the mall, and packing to leave for Chicago. Saturday night the Workman family came into town and we all had dinner together and talked about the excitement of the following week. Sunday morning was the middle of our marathon when Dan, Dallas, and I flew out to Chicago at 7am. It was a smooth flight and we were excited to be in Chicago and spend time with Dan's older brother Zach, his wife Annie, and two adorable children.
| One of my favorite things was we were there just as all the tulips were blooming. It was absolutely beautiful. We tried getting a picture with me in front of all the islands of tulips in the street. |
Each morning I would strap Dallas in the Baby Bjorn and head out to see the city. Our hotel was right downtown so I had lots to see and explore. I bought a buss pass too which was actually a lot of fun. Everywhere I went EVERYONE cooed over Dallas, yes he is the most adorable kid, but I realized there just aren't a lot of babies in the city so it was almost like he was an attraction. We walked the Magnificent Mile, went to Navy Pier and the Lincoln Park Zoo.
| One morning Dallas and I went swimming at the hotel pool. He had fun, but didn't seem to love it as much as I thought he would. |
| Dallas on his first bus ride, we weren't actually moving when I took this. |
| At the zoo. We really didn't see much do to lack of time and the animals didn't seem to want to come out. |
In the afternoon when Dan's conference was done for the day we met up with Zach, Annie and kids for more sight seeing and dinner. With them we went to the Art Institute (we have gone there with them about 4 years ago, but it is just such an amazing place we went again) and Millennium Park. It is always great to spend time with them and their kids. Sloan is three and the smartest three year old you will ever meet and she is hilarious. Sidon, is just two months younger than Dallas so it is fun to see them interact.
Wednesday, April 25th Dallas and I flew back around noon and Dan left later that day when the conference was over. At this point we were starting to fade, but knew there was still lots of good stuff to come and we needed to hang in there. When we got home the Maycock family was here and we were filled in on the events that happened while we were gone, Laura's bridal shower and Dave going through the temple. Thursday was spent with family and dinner at the Shumway's. Then Friday, day 10 and our last leg of the marathon, went perfectly. It was a long day, but filled with happiness. We are so happy for Laura and Mark and the decision they have made to be married in the temple and sealed for all eternity.
Saturday and Sunday was pretty much recovery for everyone. The Workman's had lunch at our house on Saturday before they embarked on their 27 hour drive back to Michigan. Sunday morning the Maycocks left, and tonight Dave is flying home. Dallas was a champ through the whole thing, but he is a much happier baby now that he is back on schedule and getting sleep again.
We all survived and were so happy to be apart of everything!

2 comments:
sooo much fun. Chicago is the best.
Sounds like the best kind of crazy!
Post a Comment