There are so many things I never understood and probably never could before I became a mom.
I didn't understand how women would want to go through labor so many times. The thought of birthing this child scared the heck out of me. I didn't know if I could do it and thought maybe just this one time would be enough. Now I understand the incredible experience it is and would do it a million times over. I understand that it brings this amazing baby into my arms and a closeness to my husband (and with drugs you hardly feel anything).
I didn't understand all the women who were jealous I was going to have this new baby to hold and take care of. A new baby was going to be great, but all I could think of was of the no sleep, crying, and diapers, diapers and more diapers. It is true, new babies are all consuming, but that is what I love, I want to be needed in every way. I love getting up in the middle of the night to hold and calm my sweet boy. In fact the other night I set him in his crib just for a moment to get something and when I came back to rock him to sleep he was already asleep and it made me a little sad... it felt like he didn't need me and I am not ready for that. To spend that tender time with him is a blessing.
I didn't understand when people would say time flies and they grow so fast. HOLY COW is this true. My little baby is 2 months old today. How did that happen? I already had to put away all his new born clothes because he has grown out of them. Where did my newborn go? I have loved seeing Dallas grow and develop, but I also wouldn't mind him staying 1 week old forever.
I didn't understand parents (my mom) when they are sad when their kids moved out of the house or got married. I always thought parenting would be great, but I looked forward to the time it would just be Dan and me again. Now that Dallas is here I tell him almost daily not to ever leave me :)
I didn't understand the immediate love that comes with a child. Even though I still don't think Dallas looks like us or that he is really mine forever, my heart was filled with an unconditional love I didn't know I could posses for my child. I know understand the love my parents have for me and the love God has for each of us. We are all lucky to be loved like this!
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment