After today I only have 15 days left of work. It is such a weird thing to think I will be home all day with a new baby. Staying home is exactly what I want, but it has been harder to digest then I thought. Not that I want to keep working, but I have worked full-time since I finished school, 5 years ago. It provides structure and a schedule that doesn't change very often. I love the feelings of accomplishment and a job well done. I love deadlines and the pressure to succeed. I love the social aspect and getting to know a wide variety of people. Now I will be entering a world of unknowns.
I will miss my current job. I told my boss when I was 16 weeks pregnant that I would be quitting. I felt like it was the right thing to do so we could plan and find my replacement in plenty of time. (My replacement is starting Monday. I hate that I am getting phased out so quickly, but it is nice to know that if I decide I don't want to come in or if I have the baby early everything is already taken care of.)
What was so hard about telling my boss I was quitting, was that I was finally on top of things at work. My transition from a regular assistant in Provo to Jon's executive assistant was far from smooth. Actually I hated it for a while, and deep down wanted to get pregnant so I could quit. It was a long, hard, and very humbling road for months. Then it was like things just started to click. It was wonderful. It felt great to overcome that challenge and be the employee I knew I could be. Then I was pregnant and didn't want to leave, I was finally doing a great job. I have really grown to love my job and the people I work with. I am grateful for the experiences I have had working in Salt Lake and at the executive level. In fact, I have loved all my work experiences, the good and the bad. I have learned so much and have appreciated the opportunity I have had grow and use the different skills and talents I have been blessed with.
It has also been fun working so close to Dan. I will really miss our lunches together. I will miss car pooling. I will miss us working with some of the same people and being able to talk about work stuff together at night. In a couple of months, during the day, we will be living in two different worlds compared to now.
However, with that said, I feel so blessed to be able to stay home. I am ready for the challenge of being "mom" and "homemaker." I will be trading in meetings for play dates, work clothes for baby spit-up, and a good income for hugs and kisses. I don't know if that will be permanent thing, but at least at first I will get to be the one raising our little guy and I will be loving the fact that I will get to spend all day with him!
P.S. On an unrelated note, Dan keeps telling me he thinks this baby is going to come out a girl. He always thought we would have a girl first, but then we found out we were having a boy and were so excited! As my due date comes closer he seems to be doubting the sex more. All I can say is, after seeing the ultrasound I sure home he still comes out a boy or else this girl will be dealing with some real issues.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment