Saturday, April 17, 2010

Why Dan is Perfect For Me

Dan is a great husband in many ways. We are very different, and we feel our difference complement each other well. But sometimes I feel that I am the one who receives the benefits of his awesome personality because of the way he handles my personality. The situations I am about to describe has happened before and with the same reactions.

Friday night was Ben's football banquet in Ogden. Dan was going to go by himself, but I wanted to go too, so we planned for us to both go. Ogden is just over an hour away from Orem. We thought the banquet started at 6:30 which would work out perfectly with my schedule. Dan doesn't work on Friday's so he would be home and I could be home by 5pm so we could pick up Ben and get there right before 6:30.

Well this is how the day/night actually turned out. Around 3:30 Ben let us know that the banquet started at 6:00pm and not 6:30pm. Dan called me at work and told me, but said it wasn't that big of a deal if we were a little late and leaving at 5pm would still work. For me work was absolutely crazy that day and I went flying out of the office a quarter till so I could make it to the bank for work and home by 5pm so we could leave. Of course there was a huge line at the bank making me a few minutes behind schedule, then 2 of my bosses called needing some information that I didn't have, meaning I needed to go back to the office. Since the bank is by our house I ran home to change, then Dan and I headed to my office. We got there pretty quickly, and I got what I needed, but when we jumped on the freeway to head to Ogden we were in a standstill. It probably took us a 1/2 hour to go 2 miles. It was about 5:45pm when the freeway cleared around LINDON (the town just north of where we live). I felt HORRIBLE. All because I needed to go back to work we were running very very late. I apologized over and over to Dan. He could have said a million things about how this was all my fault, that it was because it was his family I didn't try and be on time, and so on, but he didn't. I almost wanted him to yell at me or get mad at the very least, but he never did. He merely said how frustrating traffic is.

We finally got there at 7pm just as dinner was starting. We really didn't miss much and the awards that Ben received we given after dinner so it worked out perfectly. But in the moment Dan didn't know that and if it were me I would have freaked out at him as you will see by the following example.

A few weeks ago Dan and I headed to Cedar City for Easter with my family (as I bloged about). My sister, her family, and my brother had all driven down early that day. I got off work at 4pm and had told Dan that I wanted to leave right at 4pm. Dan hadn't been feeling well earlier that day (crohn's stuff) that caused him to run a little behind schedule, meaning we left at 4:15 instead of 4pm. What was my reaction? I was in a bad mood and got in a big fight with him about how he always makes me late to family stuff. After many tears I finally apologize for being irrational and we get to my parents without missing a thing.

Moral of my stories, I have a lot to learn from my sweet husband. He is such a great example to me and I hope that one day I can be like him. Thanks Dan for always being so patient with me and loving me even when I know it can be hard!

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

stupid bosses :) Glad it all worked out. I just couldnt help but smile through this whole post.

Ms. Green Eyes said...

I think this story probably applies to every single husband and wife duo alive. :)