Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Western Caribbean Cruise

Sunday night Dan and I got back from the most relaxing vacation we have ever gone on. I would recommend a cruise to EVERYONE! Below I will do my best to capture this amazing experience.

Saturday Jan 30th my sister, her husband, Dan, and I headed to the airport for the red eye flight to Miami where we would meet up with my parents and brother. When we originally booked the flight it seemed like a good idea because we were going to save so much money by taking the red eye, but that is the only part of the vacation I would not recommend. So we flew all night and arrived Sunday morning. From there we took a taxi to the Miami Port and started the check-in process. After going through several lines and getting our keys we finally got on the boat and met up with my parents and brother. Where? No other place than the Garden Cafe where the buffets are and that is where we enjoyed our first of many many meals.

After that we were all able to check into our rooms. My parents and brother (who was a trooper and shared a room with them since he isn't married) went first. They were on Deck 11 with a balcony. When they were done we all went down to Mandy, Jake, Dan, and mines rooms which were next to each other on deck 4. This cruise was to celebrate my sister's 30th birthday so we called ahead and had them decorate her room and had a cake waiting for her. Once settled in, Dan and I went to the top of the boat for the sail away party. Although it was overcast in Miami, it was still very warm and it felt great to know for the next 7 days we had no obligations.

This picture is in honor of the beloved show Saved By the Bell
Us meeting up with my parents and brother... our first meal :)
Happy Birthday Mandy!!
The Family in Mandy's room after singing to her

Dan and I on the boat with the Miami Skyline behind us as we were leaving

Norwegian is known (at least from everything I read) for its great entertainment and they didn't disappoint. That first night they had the live group, Kenosis, playing and singing then there was a comedian who was great. After that we all went to dinner at Tsar's. Another great thing about Norwegian is that there are no set dinner times. The first night we all had some self control but by the end I think between my brother and brother in law together they would order almost everything offered on the menu.

Dinner the first night
One of the towel animals the room service left for us.

Day 2 - Feb 1st
This was a day just at sea. Since we hadn't slept the night before we slept in, went to the gym, ate, relaxed, then hit the pool deck. We weren't out there for too long before it started raining. We were a little sad at first, but then we jumped in the spa and hung out there for awhile and met some great people. This was Mandy's actually birthday so we all went Azura for dinner, Sang to her, and had family time.



Day 3 - Feb 2nd
Roatan, Honduras - This was our first stop. We didn't have any shore excursions planned so we decided to rent mopeds and ride around the island. We had to tender in that morning and since this was the first time we tendered we were a little unprepared and rushed. Once there I realized I didn't bring half the stuff I should have, but most importantly I didn't bring any sunblock. My sister brought some but we didn't use nearly enough and you will see from the pictures we paid the price.
Riding around was amazing. It was interesting that the main road was really the one paved road. I was also amazed at how many coke and pepsi stands there were. I realized they were like little shacks that sold other things, but they were painted with the coke and pepsi logos. The beaches were amazing and we had a great time snorkeling at West Bay.

Dan and I on the Tender
Here Dan is practicing driving on the Moped. Now I don't know what really happened, but Dan went riding off and the next thing I know the tour guides down away started yelling in our direction that he crashed. Dan's story is that he was trying to jump this 8 inch curb to turn around and the scooter got stuck and he jumped off. Whatever happened I was just relieved that he was ok.
RJ, Dan, and I admiring the view
Dan and I laying out at the first beach we stopped at, Parrot Tree.
Here we are above West Bay where we snorkeled
RJ, Mandy, and Jake on their mopeds


I loved these plants because they are Hot Pink! They were on Costa Maya too, I wish we had them here.

Day 4 - Feb 3rd
Belize - What else can I say except it was Unbelizable!! Haha... that is there slogan and it was on everything. Here we went cave tubing and I would definitely recommend it to everyone and don't go through the cruise line. We booked with Major Tom and the Fun Team and they were great. They entertained us for the hour drive to the site and back and they were so informative during the hike, down the river, and through the cave. Belize was so beautiful and I wish we had more time to do more things there.

RJ, Mandy, Jake, my Dad, Me and Dan ready to go cave tubing

RJ with one of the guides - fun fact their first language is english.
Dan and I on the bus to the caves. You can see how burnt we are. I kept my shirt and shorts on most of the time because I was so burnt. That night I was on the elevator and one lady commented that I must be coming from the gym because my face was so red... nope just burnt.
At a check point
Unfortunately no one brought a waterproof camera so I don't have any pictures during the actual float down the river, but it was amazing I promise!

Dan showing off his souvenir
All the shops
Beautiful Belize from the Tender

That night on the boat we went to the Spiniker Lounge were they hosted a Newlywed Game. Dan and I entered but didn't get picked. My sister and Jake did!

Day 5 - Feb 4th
Costa Maya, Mexico - Here we all, including my mom, went to the Chacchoben Ruins. Our guide Jose was awesome. The ruins were so cool to look at and learn about. We saw probably 6 different ruins, but there are Hundreds through out South America so we barely got a taste of what actually exists.

RJ walking down the dock, look at how beautiful that water is!

Jose our Tour Guide
Dan and I at the Ruins

After leaving the ruins my parents went back to the boat and the rest of us went to the beach. Here we ate some real mexican food and sat on the most amazing beach ever, dispite every 5 seconds someone coming up to us trying to sell us something. The water was crystal clear and so warm. My favorite line from the people selling jewelry was "almost free... almost free come look, only $25"!!! Seriously? $25 for a bracelet that I can buy at Charlotte Russe for $4. Also yes we are American Tourists but we aren't millionaires, when did $25 become the equivalent as almost free.

In the water at the beach in Costa Maya
Just look at that water!!

The Shops


Walking back to our boat


Dinner that night


Days 6 and 7 - Feb 5th and 6th
Friday was suppose to be the other day at sea and Saturday spent in the Bahama's but due to a storm we ended up spending both days at sea. We were bummed at first, but we realized a day in the sun on the boat was much better than a stormy day on an island. We enjoyed lots of sun (by this time my burn was healing), food, and shuffle board. I have never played before but we all learned at had a great time. My Dad and I played against RJ and Jake in a little tournament and my dad and I came out victorious!!

Mandy and I playing. We quickly found out this wasn't a game she liked.


RJ and I playing
A beautiful Sunset


Dan and I taking pictures on the back of the boat at night

It was a perfect week and I was sad it had to come to and end. I enjoyed spending the week with my family, celebrating my sister's birthday, soaking up the sun, and seeing some incredible places.

8 comments:

Chelsey said...

That water is amazing. Looks like you had a great time. So jealous.

Carter News said...

Brad and I are trying to plan a big trip this year and you may have convinced me to do a cruise now! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Richard said...

That was like the longest post ever, how come I still don't have your Pictures from the trip!!! Come on, even Mandy got most of her's out!

Richard said...

Also, I can't believe you and Dad beat us at shuffle board!!! But besides that fact, it was a great trip wasn't it, I'm already wishing for warmer days and blue water again. loves u.

Craig and Cassie said...

Looks like you guys had a blast. We're jealous!!

Little Farmer Family said...

How stinkin' fun that looks and sounds!!! You are one hottie too!! :) So glad you guys had a good time with your family!!

Ms. Green Eyes said...

You and Dan both look AMAZING. My goodness. And the cruise looked like a lot of fun, too. :)

The Birds said...

Oh, my! How I need a vacation!! Looks like you guys had SO much fun! I'm so glad...you deserved it! Preston and had a stop at Costa Maya on our honeymoon cruise too, and we rented a moped (not in Costa Maya, but at one of the stops) and I crashed our moped too! Preston almost got put in jail for it too...crazy times!!! Glad you're home safe and sound. You and Dan look SO great together!
~Chandi