Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year Christmas

Since Dan grew up in Hawaii, far away from relatives, his parents would record a tape of all the kids talking about their accomplishments and interests then send it to their grandparents. These tapes are so funny to listen to and I am so glad they have copies of a few of them. This post title comes from one when Dan was 4 and he wishes is grandparents a Happy New Year Christmas.

Dan and I had a great Christmas. It started as we flew to Michigan with Laura. We left Friday, Dec. 18th. Our trip went fairly smoothly, the only hiccups were going through baggage claim and I had packed Dan's present (cologne) in my carry-on. Of course it was flagged because it was a liquid. I was so grateful for the nice security guy who opened it up, looked at it, and said it was ok for me to take. It was slightly over the limit, but I think he saw I was on the verge of bursting into tears and didn't want to deal with that so he let it go. THANK YOU! I also forgot my pillow in the terminal. I don't know how, but I did. I ALWAYS travel with my pillow so you think I would remember it, but someone I ALWAYS forget it somewhere. Once we landed in Detroit we had a 2 hour drive to Midland. Anne, Londa, and Zach picked us up and we had a snowy drive to home. We finally arrived at 2am, 12 hours after we had left Orem for our flight. It was a long day, but it was better than a trip home.

Once at the Workman Home it was nothing but fun and relaxation. Their house literally gets NO cell phone reception. At first I didn't like the thought, but then I soon loved it. It was kind of liberating not having my cell phone at arms reach at all times. The only time I had it was went we went into town and I got reception. We played games, went sledding, and ate way too much food. It was uninterrupted time with family.

It was a full house with the Workman Family (Dan's oldest sister): Eric, Anne, Laura, Rachel, Katey, Sam, Essie, Issac, and Lincoln. The Maycock Family (Dan's other older sister): Chris, Liz, Mary, Chase, and Emma. Also Dan's Older brother Zach, his wife Annie and their daughter Slonie. Dan's Mom Londa, his younger brother Ben and his younger sister Sara and her boyfriend Ryan and Dan and Me. Not everyone was there at the same time, but most of us where at once, so there was an average of 20 people staying at the house at all times.

All of us but Sara and Ryan after church, they hadn't arrived yet.


One day we went to the Santa's House. We have gone in years past and it is a fun tradition.







Essie and Mary put on a talent show one night for everyone. It consisted of them performing to the High School Musical sound track, lucky us.


The night of the BYU Bowl game all the adults went to dinner. Of course it took longer to get seated and to get our food than expected so Dan, Chris, and Ben took a few bites of their food, had it boxed, then hurried home to watch the game. Here are the rest of us enjoying not having our lives controlled by football :)


Christmas Day was amazing. Of course all the adults stayed up way to late and morning came way too early, but with 10 kids in the house there was no delaying them. We forgot our stockings so I made us some out of wrapping paper. I know Dan's is slightly deformed, but I needed the extra space to fit what I needed to put in it.


Dan out did himself this year. As always he got me movies, which I love and season 1 of the Big Bang Theory. Then I unwrapped a Snuggie. Yes I jumped on the bandwagon and wanted one too. I thought that was it, feeling perfectly content. Then I was brought one more gift. I was surprised with all the before stuff so I had no idea what this could be. It was in a bag and when I looked inside there was a jewelry box. I could hardly believe it. I kind of thought it was a joke, then I opened it and saw a beautiful necklace. It was so sweet and I love that right away he said he got a good deal and didn't spend too much, he knows me well. Finding a good deal is just as much as a present as the necklace :) This necklace also means so much because it is the first piece of jewelry that Dan picked out all by himself and for no reason. I love my wedding ring, but my mom helped with it and of course it was expected. Thanks Dan for everything, it was a wonderful Christmas.

Although most of Dan's gifts might say contrary, I think Dan is a great smelling guy. I got Dan a Sense and Spray for his office, air fresheners for his car, a shirt, and Cologne. Dan wanted cologne but I really didn't want to get Dan any because it seemed that is what all his past girlfriends had bought him and being a silly girl I didn't want to do what they had done. I finally gave in and I am glad becuase I love what I bought him!

This picture is of other cologne his sister bought him.




I LOVE that Dan put a pink bow on the box!!



Christmas night around the tree.


Dan, family, and one of the missionaries singing around the piano Christmas night.


The rest of the trip was just as fun and relaxing. We flew home early Sunday morning. We were a little nervous because Friday there was the terrorist attempt to crash a plane flying into Detroit so we thought that the security would be a nightmare, but it was a breeze. I am not going to recap the rest of our trip home, but all I have learned that I don't do well on planes when I haven't slept!

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just had to tell you that you scored HUGE points with Jeremy from this blog... and the reason? two words: Big Bang... haha he's OBSESSED with this show! I've gotten him both seasons!! :) LOVE YOU!