Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Very Merry Christmas?

We were so excited for Christmas this year. I know everyone gets excited at Christmas time, but we thought this was the year that Dallas would get excited about Santa, love opening presents, and we would make the Christmas memories seen in movies. But, as you know, life isn't like a movie and Dallas was still a bit too young to really grasp the full meaning of the holiday.

I don't understand why new parents want to rush the consumerism and materialism that accompanies Christmas. We should relish in the fact that our child is excited about a box or one toy. We could enjoy an easy going Christmas, but no... we get so caught up in trying to create a moment or going over the top so I don't have to tell people, oh I just got Dallas a dinosaur for Christmas, even though that would be enough. I have to get lots so I sound like a great parent.

Christmas Eve came, my parents came up and stayed with us which was great and we spent time with Mandy and her family that night. It was great. Then it was time for our sweet boy to go to sleep so Dan and I could have our fun, wrapping the presents, making sure everything is in its perfect place, then head off to bed ourselves. Like I said, this year was not taken from a movie. Dallas, our sweet boy, would NOT go to sleep. We took him on a LONG drive, we read books, we sang songs, I threaten time outs, I begged, I cried, I just wanted him to go to sleep. I think it was around 11 when we were all completely exhausted he fell asleep. I was so mad at this point at him for taking "my time" away I had Dan help me get the final things done and off to bed we went.


 
For the past month, Dallas had been sleeping with me in my bed, and Dan had been sleeping downstairs in the guest room. (Please judge me how you want, I know my child rules me) Since my parents are up visiting Dan needed to sleep upstairs in our bed with me and Dallas. This basically means I am squished, and don't get much sleep. Dallas woke up at 6:30 and even though I was so tired, I was so excited for him. I gladly pick him up and sneak out of the room so Dan could sleep longer, I say "Merry Christmas" full of excitement and Dallas responded with "NO." Clearly he was still tired and very grumpy. I carry him downstairs and show him the beautiful tree with presents everywhere and he won't even look. What a stinker!! So I give him what he wants, I put him on the couch and turn on Mickey Mouse. This perks him up a bit. Once everyone else wakes up we do the stockings. In his stocking were a bunch of dinosaurs. HE LOVED THEM... so much he didn't want any other presents. We finally coax him into opening one, unfortunately it wasn't one of the more thrilling ones, he looks, drops it and goes back to his dinosaurs.


Finally mid morning I had to tell him he couldn't play with his dinosaurs anymore until he opened the rest of his presents. He did and liked them, but it was too much (not that there was a ton, just more than a dinosaur, which was all he wanted). We enjoyed the rest of the day together as a family with Mimi and Papa and I was thankful for all that we were able to do and all that we have. Like I said it wasn't the "perfect" Christmas, but it was our Christmas and that made it great.




No comments: